This is the first vegan recipe that I’ve made that’s actually cooked. Vegan bakers – well done to you guys! Cooking without eggs is challenging.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
– 2 1/2 cups of spelt flour (spelt flour is not gluten free. You could try subbing it with cassava flour,which is gluten free, but I’m not sure how it would turn out. I haven’t tried it)
– 1 cup of coconut sugar
– 2 bars of vegan chocolate (I used Gaylenes Decadence chocolate and Loving earth)
– 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
– 1 cup cocoa powder ( I used 1/2 cup cocoa powder and 1/2 cup chocolate protein)
– 1/4 cup almond butter or any nut butter
– 1 1/2 cup almond milk or coconut milk
– 1/3 cup coconut oil
– 1/3 cup warm water
– a pinch of salt
WHAT TO DO
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
– melt one bar of chocolate carefully and let it cool
– in a bowl add: coconut oil, nut butter and sugar. Then add the melted chocolate.
– in a separate bowl add the cacao powder, flour, baking powder and salt
– slowly and one by one add the milk, water and flour to the chocolate mixture
– I greased a loaf tin with coconut oil and baked the cake for 45 mins
– I melted a bar of loving earth chocolate and poured that over. Any chocolate will do.
– I then added some dried berries
– Nanuki Boom Bar
– Some caramelized Buckinis (activated buckwheat) – If I had fresh blueberries and strawberries I would have added those too!
You can add whatever suits you!
It is quite a dense chocolate cake as eggs are absent. I would suggest having it with fresh fruit and a little bit of vegan ice cream or coconut cream. Enjoy!